Monday, February 9, 2015

The constant journey about your body

The beautiful thing about chronic pain, is that its been hanging around long enough to annoy you, and it annoys you enough to want to do something about it. Many of you may or may not know that I have Fibromyalgia, and that I have suffered from chronic pain for about 5 years now. I choose to continue the practice of yoga, cycling, hiking and many other fun active activities, because i refuse to give up. Sadly, all the things I enjoy doing, aggravate the pain in my hips. and have many times created debilitating pain, that left me in tears. But I still never gave up. Being active is part of life, and I am a strong person that refuses to give up so easily. I wont be taken down that way. So I have consistently researched, studied, met with different physicians in many different modalities, in the constant effort to find the root problem. Why not just give up? Well, I just don't think I know how to. Lol.

Keep up the work,sending you love.
Well the last five years of seeing an Osteopath, natural-path, Chinese medicine Dr, acupuncturist, chiropractor, yoga therapists, massage therapist and physical therapist, i have had my pain kept under control, but it always came back. Sometimes instantly sometimes over time, but it never left for long. Now I have practiced yoga for about 13 years, and I think of myself pretty in tune with my body. But just recently I realized through self study and some yoga therapy that I shear my right hip and twist my lumbar spine in movement....WHAT?!?! How could i have not known that? How did I not understand my own body that well? I can see these kind of things in other people's movement, but how could I not see it in my own??? I was flabbergasted. Ohhhh but it doesnt end there. I also recently discovered that I use my abs incorrectly. I knew something wasnt working properly in my abs, but I didnt know what it was, until one night I was getting out of bed, and realized that I push my abs out when I engage them, rather than pull them in. Sheesh...again, how did I not know this. Suddenly, so many things came into play...many "ah ha" moments were found.

So why am I telling you about this? Well, after 13 years of practicing, I continue to learn more and more about my body. The journey doesnt end. Our bodies are capable of doing many wonderful things, and movement with success is one of them. Dont give up. Keep going the journey. And when things get hard, know that its for a reason. Sometimes the message just isnt clear. But the constant practice of listening, and staying in tune with our bodies, is a practice that will pay off. No matter where you are in it.

No comments: